Friday, July 02, 2010

Wasted on Fixing All the Problems


As I type this, I'm sitting on the right hand side of our bed with my husband to my left sprawled out on his back and Goliath to my right, belly up on the floor passed out and twitching in a dream. So why am I awake? Urm, I woke up at 5am to run 4 miles-that's why. No need to rejoice, I'm irritated at myself. Why? I'll also tell you. It all starts with last night's choices, which included....

a full liter of long island ice tea.

I mean, maybe the drink alone wouldn't be so bad-but paired with nachos, fries and whatever it was that I grazed off of friend's plates it's a major problem. Like Apollo to Ground Control, we have a problem-problem. But really who can turn down a liter of long island for $5....and nachos?....and fries?....and whatever it was that I grazed off of friend's plates? Well I know I can't-could you?



When you make compromises with yourself, that should be a red flag that you probably shouldn't be doing whatever it is. If you have to bargain with your own conscience, probably not a good decision to begin with right? This is what I did: Ok Jules, you can drink this but you still gotta run tomorrow no matter what-even if that means puking the whole way. Puking, I can handle, but it was the acid reflux-bloat-headache train that I hopped this morning. My alarm went off, and I argued with myself for like ten minutes. I guzzled some water, sipped a little coffee for a boost and put my foot to pavement.



What was suppose to be four, quickly became a quick and easy two mile run. Burping over and over became not only miserable, but absolutely unbearable. A mile in I knew, sometimes you can just tell-no matter what: this isn't going to be a good run, and the only thing that's going to make it better is to recognize that. Luckily, there wasn't anyone on the trail so Goliath got a little off-leash freedom.



We took it down to a slow jog, explored a little, turned around and finished up strong. No matter what I'm burping up, just being out with my pup on a beautiful morning is an awesome thing. I shouldn't be mad at myself right? I am a serious runner, but I also have a serious social life-and maybe I'm ok with sacrificing a little training for a little fun.


Mileage: 2.11
Times: 20:58.10

PS: please check out some new blog features! I've added two pages: Races and What I Ate Today...

No comments: