Saturday, November 12, 2011

I Just Can't Stop

Today was my favorite race.

You know the race that I have never ran.  That's right: Girls on the Run Fall 5k.  Ok. Well it is tied for favorite with the Girls on the Run Spring 5k.  

I volunteer at both of them every year, and I love it.  I love it so much.  I always sign up to be a course monitor so I can cheer the girls on and see them in action as they experience the benefits of running on their confidence and self-esteem.

I drug my sister-in-law, Amanda, out of bed at 6am to join me.  I think she may have been a little reluctant at first but at the end of the morning we both on such a "feel good" high.

We were fortunate enough to get the dream job as a course monitor.  We were stationed immediately at the front and then transitioned to the first station right before the finish.  Best of both worlds.  We wished them the best and then we brought them home.  

For an hour, we stood there and cheered, screamed, danced and clapped for over an hour.  It was so inspirational.  I always get a little teary.  It's not your typical race, it's probably more than half of the entrants first race and the other half their coaches and personal cheerleaders.

Worth it!
Course Monitor Fail!! Get that Semi off the course!
awesome dancing....naturally

It totally exhausted me, but I spent the rest of the day shopping, watching home videos, eating candy...you know, the usual.

Now, I am just spending some time with my boo, Goliath by the fire roasting marshmallows.

Do you have a favorite race?
Do you volunteer at any of your local running events?
How was your Saturday?

No comments: